Friday, July 11, 2014

Home Made: Spaghetti Sauce

Meatball Penne w/ Home Made Spaghetti Sauce


While I was shopping at Sam's Club earlier this month, I noticed that I could purchase Large #10 size cans of tomato sauce and diced tomatoes.  I guess I knew they were always there, but this time I was excited and couldn't wait to get home and make a huge batch of Spaghetti Sauce.

I found some items that I had in the fridge and pantry.  I didn't have the ingredients for a proper mire poix (carrot, celery, and onion), so I just used carrots.  In addition I had garlic, bay leaves and oregano.  I also added 1/4 cup of sugar to the entire batch as it was simmering.

I chopped the carrots and sauteed them in olive oil for about 5 to 10 minutes.  I added the oregano and garlic and turned off the burner.  I do this so my garlic doesn't burn.  Next I added the full 105 oz can of diced tomatoes stirring to combine with the aromatcs (carrots, herb, and garlic).  I turned up the heat to medium and added 10 bay leaves, along with the can of tomato sauce.

Eventually after the sauce came up to a boil I dropped the heat to low and let it simmer about two hours stirring every 20 minutes or so.

This was really fun and easy to do.  I just used what I had on hand (except for my Sam's purchases) and made a great sauce for pennies.  I served this up for dinner in my penne (pic above) dish and the family loved it.  Stay with me this project is not over.  Tomorrow I plan to can the sauce into pint jars. See you then. Enjoy!!

Cya

Jenn

No comments:

Post a Comment